Of all the hyper-local Iowan foods I’ve had, Walking Tacos are my absolute favorite. Even though they are made with Doritos, they are (at least in practice) a seasonal food. And I’ve been dying to have some all summer.
Category Archives: cookingkids
We were back in Iowa for my wife’s family reunion. It’s a potluck affair that, in years past, my wife and I have been freeloading on by bringing something lame, like plates and cups or chips. This year, to make up for that, I made brisket in a crock pot and also some pretzels.
With some of my in-laws arriving late in the evening after a long drive, I figured they would need a snack when they got here. So, I decided I would try and make some pizza rolls. It had been years since I made pizza rolls, and back then, I used puff pastry. This time, I wanted to use regular pizza dough.
>Every holiday, Sarah’s family gets together at her mother’s house. All of the other siblings bring something from their kitchens to share. Because Sarah doesn’t really cook all that much, we would typically bring booze.
- cheese: pizza sauce, mozzarella ball chunks, shredded mozarella, and a shredded pizza blend (mozzarella and some other yellow cheese)
- pesto: pesto sauce, mozzarella, shredded mozarella
- chicken alfredo: alredo sauce, diced cooked chicken, shredded pizza blend
- blue cheese and mushroom: pizza sauce, blue cheese, shredded mozzarella, baby bells mushrooms
- pepperoni: pizza sauce, turkey pepperoni, mozzarella, shredded mozzarella, and pizza blend cheese