With how cold and generally unpleasant the weather has been in Chicago this winter, Sarah and I have been making a lot of chili. We’ve made beef chili, turkey chili, and white chili. So, when I saw this recipe for veggie chili, I couldn’ resist. Plus, I generally like Real Simple recipes. So I thought I would give it a shot. It has some ingredients that I was very interested in seeing in a chili, like sweet potato. But it also has some ingredients that I thought were dumb, like cocoa powder.
- chop a ton of veggies: 1 medium onion, 1 green pepper, and 4 cloves of garlic. I like garlic, so I think I may have put in like five or six. These all went into the crock pot.
- cube a sweet potato into half inch pieces. Use a heavy, sharp knife for this. Put the sweet potato into the crock.
- toss in a whole bunch of canned things: 28 oz fire roasted diced tomatoes, 15.5 oz black beans rinsed, 15.5 oz kidney beans rinsed.
- seasonings: usually, I pretty much make up whatever I want for the seasoning, but I decided to follow the recipe on this one, since I have never made a veggie chili before. 1T chili powder, 1T cumin, 2t cocoa powder, and 1/4t cinnamon.
- time: I put this all in the crock pot for several hours