Last Friday, I was heading home after a long week in court for a jury trial. I was feeling pretty exhausted, and I wasn’t looking forward to eating another take-out dinner, which is what we primarily subsist on when I am at trial. The worst part about it was that I knew that I had a pork shoulder sitting in the fridge. I really wanted some pork slathered in barbecue sauce. But I knew that making it would take several hours. And I was starving.
In my mind’s eye, as I was sitting on the bus home, I opened the fridge and stared at that raw pork shoulder, longingly. Then, as I got off the bus, took the elevator to get to my floor, and walked down the hallway towards our apartment, I could smell the aroma of meat – wonderful, wonderful meat. I opened the door and was reminded in yet another way of why I love my wife. She made the pork.
- rough chop veggies: she cut up into big chunks some onions, carrots, and celery. and she put them on the bottom of the crock pot.
- pork: put that on top of the veggies.
- seasonings: I think she put a bay leaf, some pepper, and garlic powder. I’m not sure what else.
- water: she put in enough to cover it all.
- time: she got the pork cooking in the crock pot on low for about 5 hours.
- potatoes: about an hour before I got home, she cut some potatoes into large chunks and dropped those in the crock pot. she wanted to give the potatoes about two hours to cook, but i got home earlier than she expected.
This hot sauce is called Butt Burner. However, from what I have found, hot sauces with anal references are generally not that hot. For example, this one calls itself a jalapeno pepper sauce, and jalapeno sauces are generally not as hot as the habanero sauces I typically enjoy.